2019 Delaware Trauma Symposium Agenda
6:45-7:30 a.m. – Registration
7:30-7:45 a.m. – Welcome & Introduction
7:45-8:45 a.m. – Key Note Speaker- Dr. Tom Scott, MD Founder – Scott Integrated Pain Management, LLC Founder/CEO – Nopium Consulting, LLC
“21st Century Acute Pain Management: How to reduce pain (both yours and your patients’), opioid use, and cost”
8:45-9:45 a.m. – Speaker- Jonathan Messing MSN, ACNP-BC, CCRN, TCRN Lead Nurse Practitioner, Center for Trauma and Critical Care – Co-Program Director, Advanced Practitioner Residency The George Washington University Hospital
“Tri Hard- A Journey Through Athletic Injuries”
9:45-10:00 a.m. – Break – Vendor Booths Open, Moderated Poster Session
10:00-11:00 a.m. – Speaker- Dr. Lynsey Brandt MD, PharmD – Associate Medical Director, Geriatric Consult Program Swank Center for Memory Care and Geriatric Consultation
“Medications and Their Impact on Elderly Falls”
11:00-11:45 a.m. – Concurrent Session
(a) Prehospital – Michael Bundek – Chief Emergency Medical Services St Francis Hospital
LT. Gary L. Peterson Jr., B.S., NRP, CCEMT-P, CCP-C, FP-C Emergency Medical Services Saint Francis Healthcare “Rescue Task Force: Medicine, Tactics, & Implementation
(b) Critical/Acute Care – Dr. Jason Weinberger, DO Trauma, Critical Care Surgeon – Assistant General Surgery Residency Program Director Christiana Care Health System – Christiana Hospital “Traumatic Cardiac Arrest”
(c) Emergency – Heather Panichelli AGCNS-BC, APRN/Clinical Nurse Specialist – Christiana Care Health System – Christiana Emergency Dept. “2 for 1, Pregnancy and Trauma
11:45-12:45 p.m. – Lunch: Moderated Poster Session
12:45-1:30 p.m. – Speaker – Sean Elwell MSN, RN, NE-BC, TCRN, EMT Director- Trauma Program, Critical Care Transport Program and Emergency Services Alford I. duPont Hospital for Children
“Oh, the Places You’ll Go!”
1:30-2:30 p.m. – Speaker- Sherry Sixta, MD FACS – Associate Trauma Medical Director Christiana Care Health System – Christiana Hospital
“Trauma Resuscitation Strategies”
2:30-2:45 p.m. – Break – Vendor Booths Open
2:45-3:45 p.m. Speakers –
Leah O’Boyle A.A.S., Paramedic III – Sussex County EMS
Dr. Michael Sofronski, MD Trauma Surgeon – Beebe Medical Center
Pete Zingone, RN – Emergency Department Fellowship Coordinator
Dr. Jason Weinberger, DO Trauma Critical Care Surgeon Assistant General Surgery Residency Program Director – Christiana Care Health System – Christiana Hospital
3:45-4:00 p.m. Next Steps/Closing Remarks/Evaluations
2019 Delaware Trauma Symposium Objectives:
- Review some simple evidence based interventions that increase the use of non-opioid treatments without increasing cost or charting burden.
- Describe injury patterns in triathletes, including the related disciplines, and initial management strategies.
- Review fall reduction strategies in the elderly; specifically in relation to medication management.
- Discuss the impact of a pediatric trauma system.
- Review trauma resuscitation strategies including discussion on TEG, MTP, whole blood, and TXA in trauma.
- Review recent case study to review trauma care from multiple perspectives including the pre-hospital and acute care settings.
- Breakout sessions:
- Review of the basics of CPR and resuscitation in cardiac arrest related to the trauma patient (Critical/Acute Care)
- Discussion surrounding the Rescue Task Force (Pre-hospital)
- Review of the care of the pregnant trauma patient (Emergency)